Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 12: Ajaccio, Corsica

After a great night of sleep, we woke up around 9 and headed down to Parrot Cay for breakfast. We were seated by Kendall and saw Sammy working the dining room. During breakfast, there was a crew drill going on, so half of the crew was running around in life jackets, including Sammy. As we were leaving breakfast he pretended to save us, right before the abandon ship siren sounded and he had to take off. We spent some time out on the Verandah admiring the view. We were amazed at how beautiful Corsica is. It has the look of a Mediterranean city, with the blue water, mountains, and palm trees of the Caribbean. We went ashore around 10, and stopped by the tourism office to see if there were any internet cafes, since we were getting really desperate for internet. There was only one in town so we headed off in search of it.

We finally found the internet cafe after a few wrong turns/a scenic walk, and discovered that they had internet but no computers. There were no tables available, so I tried to see if I could log onto the internet. Fortunately, my friend Matt, the DJ onboard, was just leaving and gave me the wifi code. We checked all of our emails and facebooks to make sure there were no problems at home. After leaving the internet cafe we walked through the sea side plaza with the many statues of Napoleon (Corsica was Napoleon's birthplace). We then took a walk down the palm tree lined seaside promenade, just incredible.

Around 1:00 we headed back to the ship to grab some lunch at Topsider's. The meal was delicious and the view was incredible. It was also a very warm and comfortable day, compared to some of our colder days earlier in the trip. After lunch, Dad headed back to the room to take a nap, while Mom and I went back ashore to take one last stroll through town. After all, Corsica was our last port on the cruise. We stopped in a grocery store to grab some wine for Dad, and then I grabbed some chocolate gelato using my limited knowledge of French. Fortunately I ended up with what I wanted. When we walked over to the water we saw something funny. There were these two macho guys grabbing dart guns and strapping knives to their legs to go fishing, but the moment the water hit them, they lept in the air. It was really funny. During our last stroll along the waterfront, I was rambling on in Spanish, and some Magic passengers thought I was foreign. When I offered to take their picture in front of the Magic, they were shocked that I spoke in English. At least I can convince Americans I speak Spanish well. We saw Slobodon, our assistant server from spring break, heading back to the ship and chatted with him for a while. Mom and I barely recognized him in normal clothes.

We headed back onboard the Magic, and noticed a special offer for deck massages, that was too good to pass up. I went to the spa and set up an appointment for my first ever massage. While we were waiting, the pizza chef Marjorie, made a Blue Cheese and Spinach pizza just for us. She and Mom had talked before, and said that she would be happy to make one for us whenever. It was absolutely delicious, and a very magical moment. After that it was time for a half an hour deck massage by the adult pool. The temperature outside was great, and it was a perfect way to unwind after 7 straight port days.

Tonight was semi-formal night, and the new Villains Tonight show which had just prem-EARed a few cruises before ours. As a huge fan of Hercules the Muse-ical, I was very excited to see the show. I enjoyed the show, and it was a million times better then Toy Story, but it still wasn't up to par with DCL's other shows. The music and sets were fantastic, but the lines were very awkward and the jokes were a little weak. You really have to wonder what happened to DCL's show writing. After dinner I went up on deck to watch us sail away from Ajaccio and had a beautiful view of the Corsican mountains as we sailed away. Then I headed downstairs to the Promenade Lounge, in my nightly tradition, to listen to the band play and work on my blogs. Around 8:30 I headed upstairs to Animator's Palate for the Captain's Gala dinner, aka lobster night. I had a delicious dinner of lobster, venison, and chocolate lava cake. It doesn't get much better then that.

After dinner we headed to Rockin' Bar D for Danny Buckler's magic and comedy cabaret show. I can say without a doubt, that Danny Buckler had the funniest act I have ever seen at sea. And I have seen some really funny acts. I was in pain from laughter. After the show, I talked with Danny at the bar for a while. He is a big improv guy so we talked comedy for about half an hour while the Disco Legends dance party got under way. After a while I headed over to Diversions to join my gang for some card games. After the girls went to bed, we all stayed to play giant Jenga. We could have gotten a few more levels, but we were on a ship and it had to keep rocking. Around 1, it was off to bed.

Up next Day 13: A Day at Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment